Wednesday 16 April 2014

What colour is Tuesday?


My name is Mark. I’m Canadian and I have synesthesia. It’s not a disease (although I think it  sounds like one) and it doesn’t really have any serious  effects on my day-to-day life, but it is a strange  condition. Synesthesia happens when two or more of  your senses get mixed up. So in my case, for example,  I taste words. My sense of taste works even when I’m  not eating anything, but when I hear or read certain  words. For me, the word ‘box’ tastes of eggs. That’s  just one example, of course. I’m reading one of the  Sherlock Holmes stories at the moment and ‘Sherlock’  is another ‘egg’ word! It’s a bit too much sometimes. There are quite a few famous people with synesthesia:  artists like David Hockney and Kandinsky, and musicians  like Stevie Wonder and Liszt. Unfortunately for me I only  share my synesthesia with them, not any great artistic  skills. I read that Kandinsky’s synesthesia mixed colour,  hearing, touch and smell. To be honest, I don’t think I’d  like that. It seems very complicated.  My sister is synesthetic too and she sees words in  colour. So when she sees the word ‘Tuesday’ or just  thinks of the word ‘Tuesday’, she gets the feeling of  ‘brown’. Actually that kind of synesthesia, where the days  of the week are coloured, is the most common type. I  read somewhere that synesthesia is connected to the  way our brains develop language and that there’s a link  between sounds and shapes. I don’t understand the  idea very well, but it sounds fascinating.

No comments:

Post a Comment